Thursday, December 6, 2012

Second Life training

This week I had the chance to explore a little bit of Second Life by participating in the first training session held last Tuesday (4-12-12). Setting up the account for Second Life was a straightforward process. With the help of Carole Gerts, we were taught how to move, communicate, and navigate our way in a virtual world. Although I was able to communicate with the rest of the group through chat (I can also hear the ongoing discussion from my speaker), the lack of microphone installed on my desktop was a little bit of a drawback. Also, my computer was not powerful enough to process the graphics requirement of the program. There was a time when my screen suddenly went black. It happened just after I clicked the snapshot button when Carole was teaching us how to get a snapshot of the venue where we were located. I finally got a display and returned to our virtual location only after several minutes of staring on a black screen. 

Second Life’s requirement of huge processing power and system resources is definitely its big drawback. The next time I will get into it, I will have to borrow my daughter’s powerful new laptop. Overall, the session was fun, a little bit stressful (with a blank screen), and informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment