Thursday, November 15, 2012

Assignment One

Definition of Social networking
Social networking is the practice of expanding one’s social contacts by making online connections through individuals. The Web, through social networking sites such as a Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Myspace allows users to share their interests and/or social activities and become a part of an online community.

Social networking technologies and sites that I have used
I consider myself as a social networking newbie. The previous subjects that I have taken in my course have provided me concepts and outlook of some social networking as they are applied in information/library services. Specifically, I was introduced on how to make a blog in my INF405 (The Digital Environment) subject - my first hands on with social networking. The rest such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Wikipedia, and Flickr were all in theories.

Because trends come and go at a very fast pace (thanks to the rapid advancement in technology), I tend to be cautious in adapting whatever the current trend is, including social networking services. However, I am aware that most libraries have particularly adapted them to advertise their own services. Because of this, I have decided to enrol this subject (INF506-Social Networking for Information Professionals) to expand my knowledge and to be immersed within a range of social networking environments such as blogs, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Delicious, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Second Life.

What do I expect to learn from completing INF506
I expect that the modules, readings, assignments, and hands on requirements in this subject will help me learn beyond the basics of the above mentioned social networking services and sites. Aside from using these social networking sites for “friendly” purposes, I expect to learn their applications in supporting the information, learning, social and/or organisational needs of a group of people.


No comments:

Post a Comment