Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From a hesitant participant to having several social networking accounts

From being a hesitant participant of social networking sites, this subject has turned me into an owner (by the end of the third week) of five social networking accounts (six including the Weblog I created from previous subject and reused for this subject)  -  Facebook, Flicker, Twitter, Delicious, and LinkedIn. At first, I felt slightly uncomfortable giving out information to so many sites. However, the idea that the experience and knowledge that I will gain from these activities will make me a better information services professional in a socially networked world has given me some sort of encouragement to go on. Besides, now is the time to reconnect with my friends and relatives abroad. For easy access, I put the short cuts of these sites in the bookmark bar of my browser. Also, I used a common e-mail account and password for these accounts to make administration easier.

Creating accounts for these social networking sites is quite straightforward except Delicious. It’s just so unfortunate that when the majority of the class were trying to use the “follow” feature of Delicious, the Delicious team was also in the process of upgrading the system to limit spam, making the user of a new account unable to follow other users. This issue was eventually resolved. With all these social networking accounts that I have created, Facebook gets more of my attention because most of my friends and relatives are familiar with it – the number of friends I have gets larger every day. To avoid some guessing games and to take advantage of the features they have, I decided to borrow the latest literature available on Facebook and Twitter. I am also determined to dig deeper in the coming weeks into what the other social networking sites have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment